Thursday 6 January 2011

Enterprise Task One

Before joining this course I was never a hundred per cent certain that a career in graphic design was for me. I had always previously considered my design a hobby, something enjoyable and light hearted I could practice in my downtime. However this has since dramatically changed, and my eyes have been opened to the extensive range of opportunities out there and the very real possibility that I can achieve something creatively in my life and make a mark in the design world.

With regards to my own work I had always assumed that a ‘style’ would come to me at a later stage. It had never occurred to me that I had one along. I have strong ethics and a dedicated frame of mind. I give my all to every project that I am set and will not compromise on the final outcome, even if it means working through the night to get it right. I have a growing set of skills on a range of software but also like to incorporate my illustrative skills and quite often photography. I like to think this gives me range and in turn my work is more rounded and appreciated by a wider audience.

In terms of a specific client group, I have yet to narrow down my personal preferences. There are many areas of design that I am interested in, and the longer I stay on the course, the more areas I am exposed to and am keen to explore. These areas include:

Information Graphics
Motion Graphics
Design for Print
Typographical
Editorial and Layout
Promotional
Music/Film/TV

The last bullet point above is probably the area of design that I feel most passionately about. When carrying out design context research I somehow always manage to find myself looking at all the newly released posters for current TV shows or the latest film. I’m not entirely sure how getting a job related to this area would come about, all I know is I have enthusiasm aplenty for it and am willing to try anything to crack this particular field. Below are a few examples of this particular type of design.


Above, l-r:
'Dexter', Mattson Creative Studio, California USA
'The Walking Dead', Andrew Kolb, UK
'Star Wars', Olly Moss, UK
'Mulholland Drive', Matt Needle, UK

It seems obvious that this particular work requires a detailed understanding of the adobe programmes Illustrator and Photoshop, something that I definitely have and am willing to expand on if necessary. It should be noted I am willing to travel to find work and am not motivated by money. I hope to make enough to fund a comfortable living but not excessive amounts. All I hope for is that my creations are perfectly priced and someone wouldn’t think twice about the quality of what they are getting for the price that they are paying.

I am aware enough to realise working in a city is probably the initial way to get my name out there and am therefore willing to do this. However as time goes on and if I where to become more established I would hope to settle somewhere more isolated and rely on great promotion to continue attracting clients. This means a clear, coherent website design and attractive and intriguing promotional ideas, such as business cards and a deliverable portfolio. I think my work should speak for itself and therefore the less text possible, the better.

No comments:

Post a Comment