Monday 9 April 2012

Dave Perillo Interview

Dave Perillo, another designer who I came across whilst searching through the Gallery 1988 archives, I was struck by his playful character depictions. Additionally, his choice of colour is always on point, and his compositions are always humourous.

The piece below is just one example of his work, and one of my personal favourites. There's something about the way it draws your eye around the page, finally settling on the eccentric character in the middle effortlessly. I also admire how Dave combines his fantastically fun illustrations with type, something I often struggle with. I find it hard to find a typeface that is legible and fits with illustration so perfectly, but it seems Dave has no problem! More of his work can be found here.



___________________________________________________________________________
From: montygog@yahoo.com
To: robynmak@live.co.uk
Sent: Thurs, February 9, 2012 11:32:26 AM
Subject: RE: Quick Interview?

Hi Robyn,

Thanks glad ya dig my stuff. Here's some answers to your questions, hope that helps and good luck at school.

Dave

What’s your background?
I have a Bachelor degree in Graphic Design, but I have always been fond of illustration and cartooning.

Describe a typical working day.
I currently work full-time as a illustrator for a medical trade magazine were I do mostly editorial and occasionally medical illustration. In the evenings is when I get to do my fun freelance work like what is seen on my blog.

What’s the most challenging part of your job?
Finding enough time to create all the art I do and the inspiration to do it.

And what’s the most enjoyable?
I think the reaction of others to my work and having them like it, makes me feel like I've accomplished creating art people enjoy looking at.

What do you hope to achieve in 2012?
I will be doing a two-man show in September with fellow artist Tom Whalen at Gallery 1988, so that is what hope to be a great achievement for 2012.

How did your first collaboration with Gallery 1988 come about?
They contacted me about 3 years ago to be in their Crazy 4 Cult 3 show and I've been doing shows there ever since. Probably the best gallery for artists like myself to get exposure and out in the public eye. Because of them I've had the opportunity to do so many really cool projects.

What would be your ideal Gallery 1988 exhibition to contribute to?
What i'm doing in September for them is really an ideal show for me since we were able to come up with the theme, unfortunately I can't reveal that til later this summer.

Are there any films/games/music artists etc. you have always wanted to design for?
 I am a huge Doctor Who fan so I would love to do something involving that.

Are there any fellow artists/designers you have been exhibited with at Gallery 1988 that inspire you?
I really enjoy the work of Olly Moss, Kevin Tong, Scott Derby, Scott Campbell, Nathan Stapley, Israel Sanchez & Tom Whalen.

No comments:

Post a Comment